Skip to main content

DS Risk Warning Weather: Wind- RED WARNING

 Hi all,

 

Bill has asked me to contact you urgently as the Met Office have raised their weather warning to RED tomorrow morning in parts of our area.

 

 

red

Red warning

Wind

 

The warning timing is between 07:00 and 12:00 tomorrow, Friday 18th February

 

Bill has highlighted that it is very rare to get a RED weather warning for wind and on balance it would be advisable if you are in the RED area to consider closing your school. Obviously this is not something that we normally suggest, however with regard to duty of care we believe this is appropriate

 

Please check the weather information and map on the Met Office to see if you are in the RED area, and I would advise schools that are on the boundary to consider carefully the action to take.

 

 

Storm Eunice causing significant disruption and dangerous conditions due to extremely strong winds on Friday.

 

What to expect

  • Flying debris resulting in danger to life
  • Damage to buildings and homes, with roofs blown off and power lines brought down
  • Uprooted trees are likely
  • Roads, bridges and railway lines closed, with delays and cancellations to bus, train, ferry services and flights
  • Power cuts affecting other services, such as mobile phone coverage
  • Large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and homes, including flooding of some coastal properties

 

We will keep you updated as the forecast is developing hour by hour

 

A reminder of the information Bill provided with the amber warning:

 

Do visit your plans and procedures for the challenges you may face, which could include loss of electricity through to the need to evacuate to your fall back location in the event of damage that makes it unsafe to remain.

 

Further details

Extremely strong winds may develop over southwest England early on Friday, before spreading north and east during the day. Whilst there is still some uncertainty in the track of Eunice, there is an increasing likelihood of widespread inland wind gusts of 60-70 mph and up to 80 mph in a few places. Around coasts of west Wales and southwest England, gusts of 90 or possibly even 100 mph are possible. Winds are expected to ease across western areas through the afternoon, and eastern areas during the evening.

 

You may also wish to consider a 'heads up' cascade too, informing your community of this as they may not engage with this sort of information until it disrupts them and some will even complain that more hasn't been done and how dare nature do this! A reminder of what might be necessary at short notice will do no harm.

 

All the best 

 

Jo Hughes

Risk management and Reassurance adviser

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DS Risk Warning: Health - Coronavirus/Covid 19

Hello all, You may well have already heard or seen that as a result of the Government's meeting today on this issue they have moved to a different level of response to the virus and its progress namely DELAY. After reading the following and reflecting on it you may come to the conclusion a communication to all staff and another to parent/carers would be timely, as soon as possible, to try to stave off issues on site tomorrow morning. With immediate effect the advice is that anyone with a new persistent cough or high temperature should self-isolate for seven days. From Friday, school trips abroad will be banned. This should trigger the ability to claim from your insurers but there's no compensation for the disappointment and lost opportunity, of course. Older people and those with pre-existing health conditions are being told not to go on cruises. PM Boris Johnson said it was "the worst public health crisis for a generation".   He said there was no...

Delegated Services Risk Warning: Weather; Snow and Ice

Hello all, On the basis of the current forecast projection, coming to a conclusion on business as usual on Friday is very difficult to call. You'll see from the risk matrix below and description that things are moving in the higher impact direction for snow on the way home and overnight on Thursday, with things easing in the early hours and into the morning. However, there's still the caveat that a lot of it could be rain! If snow, the description may mean that it will be possible to have motorways and the majority of principal gritted routes open and, therefore, public transport running for the journey to work. My call at the moment is that it looks like an early curtain open and radio on for Friday morning to see what we face. It could vary markedly across the staff team's travel to work area. Make sure your communication cascade to all method is ready, up to date and has capacity if many have to use it. It may be a 'we are open' on a rolling basis will ...

DS Risk Warning: Health - Cornavirus/Covid 19

Priority Wed, 26 Feb, 20 Hello all, Looking at how things are progressing and supporting you with your many enquiries can we suggest, if you haven't done so already, a communication to your community and staff? The content would be to reassure that you are following the national and local advice. You could then copy and paste the advice from yesterday that includes the list of Category 1 and Category 2 locations and the list of Italian lock down villages. If you can you can go on to say nobody has returned from lock down areas anywhere in the world. Some have returned from areas where the advice is clear on being vigilant in case symptoms appear. If that were to be the case they will then follow the self isolate advice, etc. it would be sensible to recognise that the situation is very dynamic and could already be changing as you send your communication. You will update them on your position if anything material changes, but they can also keep up to date ...